Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Goodbye Citrus Lane

I first started getting Citrus Lane boxes last fall after seeing some of the amazing ones they gave as examples on their website. I was currently subscribed to TeetheMe (no longer in business) and I was looking for something different. I liked our first box...but I felt it went downhill after that. We got our February box last night, it will be our last one.


This box was for a 25 month old girl. Little O is only 21 months but I aged her up when I signed up because items in the boxes for kids her age seemed too young for her. It included:

Hohner Drum - $7-11 depending on where you buy
Ook the Book from Chronicle Books - $5.95 on Amazon
Branam Fluoride Free Xylitol Tooth Gel - $5.69 retail
Pangea Facial Toner - $12 on their website
Me4Kidz Little Buddy Antibacterial Wipes - $2.49 from their website

So the total value of the box was around $37, going with the more expensive price for the drum. Not too bad considering the box was $25, pretty bad considering we have no use for the tooth gel or facial toner.

O's dentist wants her to use fluoride toothpaste, so this wont work for us. I feel like toothpaste is sort of a personal item. There are plenty of boxes out there that provide health and beauty items, I signed up for Citrus Lane so O could get fun toys and other items in the mail each month. I also dislike the facial toner, again, another personal item that belongs in a beauty box, not a kids box. I can appreciate that they are trying to send items for the moms, but it shouldn't be the most expensive item in the box. If I wanted items for myself I would sign up for a box for myself, I wanted something for my daughter. I think they should have an option, a mommy and child box, or just a child box.

The wipes are okay. We have a ton. I'm sure they'll get used, but, again, not something I was hoping for in a kids box. The drum is fun, O likes it, but I had higher hopes. I thought Citrus Lane would introduce us to new toys and brands. I don't really see anything new or innovative about a hand drum. The book, while fun, is not age appropriate. This is why I mentioned at the beginning that I aged up O's box. I don't think it makes a difference. In my opinion she is not going to be able to be trusted with non board books at age 25 months either. She also got a regular soft bound last month too in her 24 month box and that one has already been ripped up.

So, as much as I loved the idea of Citrus Lane, I cancelled my account today. I'm still going to check in on their facebook page and such to see what they have been sending out. Maybe if things look like they are improving I will sign up again. Right now it's just not what I'm looking for in a monthly box for my daughter.







No comments:

Post a Comment